Policy Advisor – Inter-Governmental Relationships
The Policy and Government Relations Advisor gathers, analyses, reviews and reports data related to government initiatives, legislation, and policies in order to advise the AIAI Executive and Chiefs Council of any potential impacts relating to our Member Nation Communities. Responsibilities also include ensuring data is presented in a clear and actionable way; supporting key stakeholders with information that assists their decision making; and enhancing the process of reporting on policy development. The focus of this position will be to provide technical advice to the AIAI Executive and Chiefs Council as well as create and maintain positive relationships with government stakeholders
This position is a part of a collaborative team environment (Policy Unit) and will work under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations and work closely with the AIAI Political Executive and the AIAI Chiefs Council.
· Act as a liaison/advocate for the member Nations regarding problems/concerns and refer to the appropriate Agencies.
· Facilitate data gathering and research, both internal and external
· Maintain positive government relationships with provincial and federal members of parliaments
· Maintain current community profile information
· Develop proposals, briefing notes, impact Analysis, position papers, ministerial correspondence , discussion papers, position papers, lobby kits for the AIAI Executive and Chiefs Council
· Coordinate and facilitate meetings, focus groups, information sessions etc., with the AIAI member First Nations to receive their feedback and guidance to address issues
· Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports as well as work plans and annual budget requirements
· Create presentations appropriate for all levels within the AIAI membership
· Develop recommendations of response to include an assessment, plan/strategy and an implementation phase, as well as an evaluation component for policies which impact the AIAI member Nations
· Develop strategies and undertake directed activities that address impacting government policy and/or legislation.
· Be an AIAI representative at all levels of government/ committees as delegated by the AIAI
· Arrange for AIAI Chiefs Council and Political Executive visits to offices of Ministers, Deputy Ministers, Senators, Members of Parliament, government agencies and First Nations leadership.
· Perform other related duties as requested
· University or College degree in a related field
· Approximately 1-3 years of work experience
· Previous work experience within a Native Organization is an asset
· Must be knowledgeable of current issues affecting First Nations in Canada
· Must have Knowledge of federal, provincial and First Nation structures including the AIAI political structure
· Be familiar with the principles and practice of public policy and administration
· Experience with policy and data analysis
· Must have excellent organizational skills
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required
· Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
· Must be willing to accept responsibility and to show good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness.
· Must be willing to adhere to the principles of confidentiality and to comply with all mandated training and ethical guidelines.
· Must value working in a collaborative environment.
· Must be computer literate and have working knowledge of Microsoft Windows inclusive of all applications i.e.: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
· Must be willing to travel extensively and possess a valid Ontario Drivers License.
· Indigenous ancestry preferred.
· Travel required
· Ability to conduct presentations
· Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
· Flexible work hours as required
· As per AIAI Salary Grid – $53 550.00 – $65 890.00 ( based on qualifications and experience)
· September 10th, 2021
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with three references (two employment related) to the attention of:
Geoff Stonefish, Director of Operations
Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians
387 Princess Ave
fax 519- 675-1053 firstname.lastname@example.org