Policy Advisor – Health – Contract (March 31, 2023)
POSITION: Policy Advisor – Health
ACCOUNTABILITY: Health and Wellness Manager
The Association of Iroquois & Allied Indians, a First Nation Political Territorial Organization, is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Policy Advisor – Health. The individual will work closely with the Associations member Nations, our internal Sectors, and all levels of government. This position is a part of a collaborative team environment (Policy Unit).
The Policy Advisor will be under the direct supervision of the Health and Wellness Manager and will work closely with the AIAI Political Executive, the AIAI Chiefs Council and the AIAI Health Social Advisory Board.
• To provide the Health/Social Advisory Board and AIAI Chiefs Council with timely information, analyses, technical assistance, recommendations and options regarding various policy and legislative issues related to Health and Wellness that may impact the Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians member Nations.
• Conduct research and analysis, and present findings to the Health/Social Advisory Board and AIAI Chiefs Council and other AIAI Sectors for their information and review.
• Analyze, monitor, and interpret pending and proposed policy and legislation, assess their levels of impact and prepare recommendations to adopt an effective course of action.
• Develop strategies and undertake directed activities that address impacting government policy and/or legislation related to Health and Wellness.
• Coordinate, consult and communicate with other political territorial organizations, advocacy groups, and First Nations on policies and legislation related to common concerns or interests.
Provide technical support to Health/Social Advisory Board and AIAI Chiefs Council at regional and national-level meetings.
• Arrange for AIAI Political Executive visits to offices of Ministers, Deputy Ministers, Senators, Members of Parliament, government agencies and First Nations leadership.
• Assist and brief the Political Executive and AIAI staff in their preparation for meetings with Ministers and senior government office.
The candidates must possess the following:
- University Degree or College Diploma with a major in public administration, political science, or a related field and/or related experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team with excellent time management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Energetic attitude and an ability to approach a wide range of issues using an appropriate level of perspective.
The candidates must possess a strong working knowledge of the following:
• First Nation Governments and their governance systems
• Possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Provincial and Federal legislative processes, as well as the roles of legislative committees.
• Research methods, techniques, and report presentation.
• First Nations’ treaty rights and issues.
• Microsoft Office software suites, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to travel extensively and possess a valid ‘G’ (or above) Ontario Drivers
• Ability to work within deadlines under minimal supervision.
• Native ancestry preferred.
• Travel required.
• Ability to conduct presentations.
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
• Flexible work hours as required.
• $53 000 – $60 000.00
• Open until filled
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with three references (two employment related) to the attention of:
Geoff Stonefish, Director of Operations
Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians
387 Princess Ave