Policy Advisor – Political Office
Posting – Contract Position
The Policy Advisor gathers, analyses, reviews and reports data related to government initiatives, legislation, and policies in order to advise the AIAI Executive of any potential impacts relating to our Member Nation Communities. Responsibilities also include ensuring data is presented in a clear and actionable way; supporting key stakeholders with information that assists their decision making; and enhancing the process of reporting on policy development. The focus of this position will be to provide technical advice to the AIAI Executive as well as create and maintain positive relationships with government stakeholders
This position will collaborate with the AIAI Policy Unit on impacting and emerging policy and legislative issues and will work under the direct supervision of the AIAI Political Executive.
- Act as a liaison/advocate for the member Nations regarding problems/concerns and refer to the appropriate Agencies.
- Facilitate data gathering and research, both internal and external
- Maintain positive government relationships with provincial and federal members of parliaments
- Maintain current community profile information
- Develop proposals, briefing notes, impact Analysis, position papers, ministerial correspondence , discussion papers, position papers, lobby kits for the AIAI Executive
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings with the AIAI Executive.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings, focus groups, information sessions etc., with the AIAI member First Nations to receive their feedback and guidance to address issues
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports as well as work plans and annual budget requirements
- Create presentations appropriate for all levels within the AIAI membership
- Develop recommendations of response to include an assessment, plan/strategy and an implementation phase, as well as an evaluation component for policies which impact the AIAI member Nations
- Develop strategies and undertake directed activities that address impacting government policy and/or legislation.
- Be an AIAI representative at all levels of government/ committees as delegated by the AIAI Executive
- Arrange for Political Executive visits to offices of Ministers, Deputy Ministers, Senators, Members of Parliament, government agencies and First Nations leadership.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- University degree in political science, public administration, public relations, law or a related field
- Approximately 3 + years of work experience in a related field
- Previous work experience within a Native Organization is an asset
- Must be knowledgeable of current issues affecting First Nations in Canada
- Must have Knowledge of federal, provincial and First Nation structures including the AIAI political structure
- Be familiar with the principles and practice of public policy and administration
- Experience with policy and data analysis
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be willing to accept responsibility and to show good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness.
- Must be willing to adhere to the principles of confidentiality and to comply with all mandated training and ethical guidelines.
- Must value working in a collaborative environment.
- Must be computer literate and have working knowledge of Microsoft Windows inclusive of all applications i.e.: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Must be willing to travel extensively and possess a valid Ontario Drivers License.
- Indigenous ancestry preferred.
- Travel required
- Ability to conduct presentations
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Flexible work hours as required
$60 120.00 – $70 000.00
Application Deadline – Extended – March 19, 2021
- Resume must include a cover letter and 3 references (two employment related)
- Please submit via email :
Geoff Stonefish, Director of Operations
Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians
387 Princess Ave.
N6B 2A7Phone (519) 434-2761
Fax (519) 675-1053
Email – email@example.com