The Band Representative will advocate for the best interest of the Children who are members of the Oneida Nation of the Thames in all court proceedings pertaining to Child Welfare matters. The person who holds this position is named by the Council/Administrator to present the Band’s interest in Child Protection proceedings or hearings, involving children of Oneida Nation of the Thames. This position has a full party status in hearings and Child Protection. The purpose of the position is to ensure the children, who are members, or eligible to be members of the nation, and who are involved wit hthe Children’s Aid Societies, have their rights to their own culture and community protected and upheld.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Child and Family Services Act (CFSA) including Part X of the CFSA;
- Minimum post-secondary Social Work Diploma, Legal Services diploma or related field;
- A minimum of two (2) years experience working in Family Law court proceedings and within the court system;
- Must pass a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Must be confident working with justice system and other community service providers;
- Culturally sensitive and knowledge of issues effecting First Nations communities;
- Knowledgeable about Oneida Nation of the Thames culture and its unique characteristics as a social structure;
- Exceptional advocacy skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including strong negotiation skills;
- Ability to interpret legislation and legal documents;
- Professional attitude required at all times;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times;
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel with minimal notice;
- Must be computer literate in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Must have a reliable transportation and valid car insurance and valid driver’s license
Conditions of Employment:
- Successful candidate will submit: a valid/current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) – prior to starting employment, at own expense, copy of valid driver’s license and proof of car insurance.
- Cover letter, resume, three (3) supervisory references (names & telephone numbers only);
- Copy of College Diploma and other educational/training documentation in related discipline.
Interested applicants please submit documentation to:
Oneida Nation of the Thames, Administration Office
Human Resource Department
2212 Avenue, Southwold, Ontario N0L2G0
OR Fax (519) 652-9287
- All applications will be screened according to the above qualifications, including a full and complete application as requested;
- Only those selected will be granted an interview;
- Must be a registered member of a First Nation as per Section 16 (1) of the Human Rights Act, is preferred.